Vintage Strawberry Preserves
1 ½ quarts red, ripe strawberries
5 cups sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
- Wash, hull and chop strawberries.
- Combine berries with sugar in a large stainless steel pan; let stand for 3 to 4 hours.
- Bring strawberries to a boil slowly, stirring occasionally. Add lemon juice. Cook rapidly until strawberry mixture is clear and syrup is thick, about 15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a shallow pan and let stand, uncovered, for 12 to 24 hours. Will keep in fridge for a month or two, or frozen forever.
- For canning: ladle strawberry mixture into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; process for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath. Makes four 8-ounce jars.