Heart-Healthy Chocolate Cup Cakes
¾ cup sugar in the raw
½ cup water
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
2 egg yolks (beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup all purpose flour (or cake flour is better)
¼ cup cocoa powder
5 egg whites
¼ cup ground flax seed
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup apricot 100% fruit spread
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F, prepare a 12 cupcake pan with sprayed cup cake papers.
- In a saucepan, stir together sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and almost boiling. Remove from heat, add chocolate; stir until melted.
- Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl, gradually stir in chocolate mixture, then vanilla, set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, flax seeds and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture in 4 parts, do not over mix!
- Spoon into prepared cup cake pares, a little over half full, bake for approx. 20 minutes until test pick comes out dry.
- Cool completely.
- Top each cup cake with fruit spread and sliced almonds and any other fruit you want, such as raspberries.