Chile Orange & Pomegranate Pork Roast
1 4-6 pound pork shoulder (Boston butt)
1 12 ounce jar Seville orange marmalade
1 24 ounce bottle POM wonderful juice
¼ cup chili powder (Santa Cruz brand is great and it’s local)
1 quart pork or beef stock
3 onions chopped
8 garlic cloves (chopped)
4 celery stalks (chopped)
4 large carrots (chopped)
½ cup flour
1 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
- In a heavy roasting pan heat ½ cup olive oil until very hot, sear the meat on all sides (5 minutes total) and remove — to brown the meat on all sides and seal in the juices.
- Add the other ½ cup of oil to pan and heat until very hot, add the vegetables and cook until well browned.
- Add the flour to browned veggies and mix well.
- Add all the liquids, the marmalade and the chili powder, mix well.
- Place roast on top of everything and cover tightly with the lid or foil.
- Braise in 300 degree (F) oven for 4 hours.
- Remove meat when fork tender and cool slightly before shredding or slicing.
- Strain the pan juices and serve with the meat.