Provides professional nursing assessment and initiates nursing care to clients presented to the Emergency Department. Determines the urgency of the clients presenting complaints and completes medical screening. Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to patients of all age groups. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development through the life span, possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status, and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s needs in relation to age and to provide the care needed as described in the department’s policies and procedures.
- Interviews patient and/or family to obtain required history and accurate assessment.
- Makes accurate patient assessments and completes medical screening.
- Initiates diagnostic and therapeutic measures as indicated by standing protocols and medical orders.
- Possesses good crisis intervention skills.
- Communicates and acts as liaison between the patient, family, and physician with respect for confidentiality and dignity.
- Communicates clearly and appropriately with others in the hospital environment, coordinating the needs of nursing with those supporting departments, and assists in solving problems related to the welfare of patient and staff.
- Charts concisely, descriptively, and legibly and includes patient’s progress or lack of progress.
- Performs nursing procedures safely and efficiently.
- Demonstrates understanding of, and adheres to hospital’s infection control protocols.
- Demonstrates compliance with existing standards and policies.
- Cooperates as a member of the nursing unit, department, and overall hospital team.
- Participates in quality assurance activities.
- Attends required annual in-services and additional certification classes.
- Able to function effectively under stressful situations.
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
- Current nursing license as a registered nurse in the State of Arizona.
- Current CPR, PALS and ACLS certification.
- Minimum of one-year experience in Medical Surgical.
- Prior Critical Care and/or Emergency Care experience.
- Knowledge of theory, principles, techniques, and practice of professional nursing; of scientific principles and nursing research; of preparation, administration, and actions of medications; of treatments and medical procedures; of counseling and teaching techniques; of medical equipment as it relates to patient care.
- Ability to operate and handle many kinds of complex equipment.
- Ability to demonstrate clinical competence and maintain current knowledge in caring for all age groups of patients.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Good hearing is necessary to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make fine discriminations in sound.
- Visual acuity is needed to assess color changes, to verify accuracy of written materials, and to administer and accurately prepare medications.
Must understand and accept the possibility of exposure to inside environmental conditions, such as infectious/communicable diseases, noise, blood, and blood-born diseases, chemicals and/or chemical fumes, odors, gases, dusts, and physical injury/verbal abuse from an out-of-control patient. Frequent exposure to distressed patients, families, or visitors.