Under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager collects and processes laboratory specimens. Maintains supplies as necessary. Performs limited testing on specimens. Performs other laboratory duties as requested. Has high regard for customer service and treats every patient, provider and coworker with respect and compassion.
- Collects, processes and appropriately distributes laboratory specimens obtained from all age groups, including the elderly and newborn, observing infection control policies and universal precautions.
- Performs limited testing of specimens, quality control and proficiency material.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of supplies for specimen collection.
- Properly processes specimens for in-house and send-out testing.
- Loads specimens on instruments.
- Practices good customer service skills.
- Performs other job related duties as requested.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- CPR/BLS Certification
- One to three years of phlebotomy experience or graduate of phlebotomy or laboratory assistant program.
- Pleasant and friendly personality; excellent interpersonal skills when working with patients, medical staff and fellow employees; understands emphasis on customer care and satisfaction.
- Ability to perform under stressful situations.
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Satisfactory interview and references.
- Position requires manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination when working with patients and instrumentation.
- Visual acuity required reading and interpreting diagnostic results.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with patients, staff, peers and medical staff.
- Requires standing and walking for extensive periods of time, as well as frequent stooping and bending.
- Requires ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 30 pounds.